Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Underlining 'Free' in 'Free Credit Report'



By Michelle Singletary

Sunday, October 11, 2009

I've been meaning to pull my credit reports for some time.

I, like so many others, am concerned about identity theft or uncorrected errors in my credit files that might ding my credit scores.

When I finally got around to it, I knew to go to AnnualCreditReport.com or call 877-322-8228. I haven't been fooled by those ubiquitous commercials for FreeCreditReport.com with the goofy guy playing a guitar and complaining about how his life is messed up because he didn't check his credit report.

But the Federal Trade Commission has received many complaints from consumers who were misdirected from the official centralized site. Every person is entitled to a free credit report every 12 months from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting agencies -- Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.

Click here to Read More

Posted By: Sara Sindelar

It is great that the government is working on regulating which credit reports are the real thing without hidden fees. Credit reports are necessary to have and should be looked at once a year in order to see where you stand. It is hard with all the false advertising that is out there like freecreditreport.com that really in the fine print it not free. The FTC is allowing for the general public to way in on their view of false marketing and credit report regulations. We should take advantage of this opportunity.



1 comment:

  1. I'd like to find out more? I'd like to find
    out more details.

    Check out my site ... how to get cheap car insurance

    ReplyDelete